Josh Surratt

Thoughts from a man enjoying the journey

Sunday, July 31, 2005

Proximity or Intimacy

Today marks the beginning of a new month. As i plan my august i can already tell that it is going to be crazy busy. I am excited to take on the challenges that lie ahead, but I can't get this lingering question out of my head:

This month will I be seeking proximity with God or intimacy with God?

I think that a lot of times, sadly, I want to be in the same area with God. I want to be close to Him because...let's face it, there are perks involved with being close to God. With proximity we have a false sense of being close to God, but there are no risks involved. Spending time around God and learning about God and staying busy doing things for God are not the same as being intimate with God. People who choose to live in proximity with God without intimacy tend to be really into religion, but get really uncomfortable when you start asking questions like: How's your relationship with Jesus been lately?

I talk to married couples all of the time who live in proximity with each other for many years, but never really become intimate with each other. How sad is that? Yet, sometimes we chose the same thing with our relationship with Christ.

God wants to have a voice in our lives...he wants to be involved in the mess that we sometimes make. When we choose to become intimate with him, that means we have to let him past the outer shell that we so often keep up for everyone else. So I have re-alligned my goals this month from what I want to accomplish for God to how intimate I want to be with God.

Will you choose proximity or intimacy this month?

4 Comments:

At 11:55 AM, Blogger Rick said...

happens for church relationships, too - are we friends because we enjoy being together, or are we friends because our paths cross geographically once or twice a week? good stuff - deep challenging stuff to live out. thanks for posting that.

 
At 1:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great reminder Josh. It is so easy to get caught up in doing things for the Kingdom (especially for those of you in ministry) and forget that, more than anything, Jesus wants to have an unbroken, meaningful relationship with us. There is nothing better than feeling as if God is right by your side, leading and supporting your every step.

 
At 8:20 AM, Blogger Mac Lake said...

Love the post. It stuck with me all day yesterday. Then it really hit my mind last night during first thursday. Great insight.

 
At 9:51 PM, Blogger Nathan said...

Josh, I like the blog. I'll have to add it to my list of sites and blogs. I especially like the "challenge question" at the end. That's a good way to illicit comments to your post. Well done.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home