Josh Surratt

Thoughts from a man enjoying the journey

Thursday, July 14, 2005

Are you the best in the world?

I just got back from a great trip to Colorado with my brother and my dad. I got the opportunity to spend some time with three guys who have seen a lot of success in three completely different areas.

  • King Herrington - This is my 84 year old grandfather. His talent is very unique and somewhat weird. He is a member of the "Barbwire Hall of Fame". I know that doesn't sound like much, but when grandpa was 50 years old he decided to learn about barbwire. I won't tell the full story now, but to sum it up, he fell in love with the history of fences in Colorado. He is now recognized, albeit by not more than a few hundred other barbwire lovers, as one of the top barbwire collectors in the world. It was fascinating to hear his stories.
  • Daryl O'Dell - A friend of ours who is the retired police chief of Ft. Collins. After 27 years in the police department, Ft. Collins had one of the top police forces in the country. After retiring, he and his son partnered in buying a golf course, which we enjoyed thoroughly. I'll post about that later.
  • Brent Rowen - We spent some time in Steamboat Springs with a legendary guitar player named Brent Rowan. The albums that Brent has played on have sold more than 100 million copies - artists including Alabama, Chris Ledoux, Hank Williams Jr., Reba McIntyre, Tim McGraw and the Beach Boys, to name a few. Most of the music isn't my style, but he has risen to the top of his field.

On the flight home, I was thinking about what I could learn from these guys. The overriding thought is this: Find out what you're good at and become the best in the world at it. God has created each of us to excel at something. For my grandpa it was a hobby, for Daryl it was his career, and for Brent it was both.

My next step is to read Now, Discover Your Strengths and see where I land. I'll keep you posted. What are you great at?

1 Comments:

At 1:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Teaching and public speaking are just a couple of your strengths/gifts that I have noticed. Your sermons at The Annex just get better and better. I also hear that you are getting increasingly talented at golf. Keep the communication of God's Word up and your golf score down...maybe one day you will be the best golfastor (that's someone who plays evangalistic golf) in the world!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home