Josh Surratt

Thoughts from a man enjoying the journey

Thursday, June 09, 2005

Thoughts from an Alien

I picked up Searching for God Knows What by Donald Miller the other day. I don't read a whole lot of these types of books, mainly because I am pretty well-rooted in my faith, but I really connected with his style of writing. In one chapter he imagined that an alien came to earth and observed for a few days and then reported back to the other aliens his findings. Here's what he found:

"Humans, as a species, are constantly, and in every way, comparing
themselves to one another, which, given the brief nature of their existence,
seems an oddity and, for that matter, a waste. Nevertheless, this is the
driving influence behind every human's social development, their emotional
health and sense of joy, and, sadly, their greatest tragedies. It is
as though something that helped them function and live well has gone
missing, and they are pining for that missing thing in all sorts of odd methods,
none of which are working. The greater tragedy is that very few people
understand they have the disease. This seems strange as well because it is
obvious. To be sure, it is killing them, and yet sustaining their social
and economic systems. They are an entirely beautiful people with a
terrible problem."

Upon reflection on these words, I am embarassed about how much of what I do is influenced by this disease of comparison. Do you agree with Miller's assessment of how an alien would see the world? Why do we compare ourselves to others so much?

2 Comments:

At 3:17 PM, Blogger Rick said...

hi, josh - found your site through shawn's blog. wanted to add that i enjoyed miller's book, almost as much as the one before it: blue like jazz. i think the generalization that comparison drives everything we do is too forceful, but the idea that it drives us more than we'd like is important. whether it's comparing ourselves to peers, or our kids to other kids in academics or sports or whatever - we think of ourselves based on what we think of others, for better or worse.

that's what i pulled from that exchange.

 
At 7:01 PM, Blogger Surratt Family said...

Thanks Rick - great thoughts. I know that this has been driving me crazy since I read it and the subsequent couple of chapters. Lisa and I were talking about some improvements that we want to make to the house and I had to check my motives.

I think it's driving her more crazy than me!!

Thanks for my 1st "official" comments! Hope to see you in Irmo soon.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home